On Thursday 7th February 2013, I had the opportunity to be part of the audience on the Woman TV Show at BEN TV and also support our good friend and colleague Empress Jai. The topic being discussed was about Rape and Domestic Violence. The show was filmed live and was screening over the airwaves via Sky Channel 182.
As a women who has supported friends suffering from domestic violence and my interests in raising awareness about the on-going genocide of African people in the Congo, where rape is being used as a weapon of war, this subject was one that was fresh in my mind.
While listening to Sis Empress Jai and the presenters, I learnt the following:
- 750,000 children witness domestic violence in the UK according to the Home Office figures.
- 8 out of 10 African women have experienced rape in their lifetime.
- During 2010 -2011, there were 150 rapes in South Africa per day! South Africa has the highest number of reported rapes per head of popu of any Interpol mem country, with over 64,500 reported in 2011/2012.
- Men have used rape in Kenya believing it is a way of curing themselves from HIV
- One in 5 women will experience rape in their lifetime.
On this show I also learnt about the brutal and disgusting gang rape of 17 year old Anene Booyson. I had a busy week so did not watch the news like I normally do, so missed this story. This young woman was gang raped & mutilated. Her stomach was slit open down to her genitals. She died from her injuries in hospital, but was able to name one of her attackers. What is going on family? The land of Africa is being raped of its natural resources and riches by the multinational companies and now we have African men raping African women! This disgusting behaviour must stop!